A Round Downrange
I know this
upsets Phil, but I won’t cheat you out of what I know about concurrent and
parallel planning or creativity, or our ability to contend with negotiating the
things God and this body have entrusted to you.
When I sent
off a missive asking the session to think about a topic or theme, that is
exactly what it is—a prompt to thinking.
If we have
broached the subject before and did the body remaining at rest thing, I will
take a shot at what I believe hits the target. Most first rounds are not direct
hits. Neither are second or third rounds for most.
These rounds downrange should prompt new ideas
(The patterns from the periphery always differ from those in the center).
This is
designed to provoke thinking that is not yet visible to the mind. A good idea
will always appear logical in hindsight. Don’t be afraid to think so far out of
the box that you forgot there was a box.
Your minds will find something in between where you have been stuck and
the round downrange offering.
This is not
designed to manipulate or overly influence thinking, other than to get it out
of park and into gear. The fact that I prompt you to think influences the
thinking. There is no sanitary model.
I appeased
Phil for this final meeting so as not to stir him up and immobilize him for
having to think prior to the meeting.
We will pay a
price in time spent/invested at the meeting, but hopefully will avoid an
advance meltdown. The integrity issue must be resolved now.
Going forward,
I hope you don’t throw in the towel on advanced thinking (priming the pump, if
you want to leave the military metaphor behind), as well as concurrent and
parallel planning.
I have seen
you in action, and most of you are very proactive, much more so than me.
While Phil
may remain in reactive mode, I pray he does not try to convince you to forsake
your proactive nature and practices or discount your efficacy.
I think
that he might be more receptive to your approach than he was towards mine. If I have been the stumbling block
here, ignore this brief counsel.
I know that I
rub him the wrong way. I think he will be more receptive to your forward-looking
efforts. There is a place for the gifts and talents of all whom God has called to
this leadership, even very cautious ones, but God did not call you to be
placeholders.
There must
not be any room for fear-based or hate-based decisions. Start the conversation
earlier than you think you need to. Give yourself and others time to accept new
ideas.
Give your
minds some acceptance time.
No comments:
Post a Comment